Would you dare to bleach your own hair at home? There are so many YouTube videos and resources of education that doing it at home doesn’t seem so risky anymore. This video by Brad Mondo is a fantastic resource that breaks down how to find the right color and how to dye your hair at home.
Of course, bleaching your hair as a non-professional always poses a risk. But with effective research and the right products it can potentially lead to a reward. If you’re wanting to bleach your hair at home, once you nail the process think of all the money you will save. If you can do it correctly, it’s a lot of money!
When bleaching your hair at home, it’s best to stick to what you know vs. trying to experiment. Experimenting is when things can go wrong very quickly. Getting a color correcting service at a salon is the most expensive service they offer. So always air on the side of caution.
Our favorite at home bleach is the Manic Panic Lightning Bleach 30 Volume kit. It comes in a kit with bleach, developer, a toner and everything else you would need to dye your hair blonde or platinum at home. This kit lifts the hair up to 5 levels and works on virgin hair. If you’re wanting to dye your hair platinum this is a great option. If you’re looking for a more natural blonde, this still works, just grab a matching toner!
Hair bleach is dye that lightens the hair. It’s used to lift the color to achieve, light brown, blonde, platinum or lighter highlight shades. Bleach reacts with the melanin in your hair and takes away the color. The process is irreversible and once you bleach your hair, the only way to add color back is to dye it.
A good bleach is one that won’t damage your hair but still lift it. Lifting the hair means taking it to a lighter shade. So, dark brown and black hair colors may have a harder and longer process for lightening their hair. While someone with light brown hair can do it very quickly.
Another testament to a good bleach is one that lifts the hair evenly. You don’t want patches of lightness and darkness in your hair. Finally, a good bleach is one that does not lift the hair to a yellow or orange shade. Look for a bleach with hydrating agents along with purple color pigments to block brassy and yellow tones.
The best hair bleach is the one that works and doesn’t damage your hair! If you’re new to bleach, a kit like Manic Panic’s Lightening 30 Volume box is great because it contains everything you need to dye your hair at home. It can effectively bleach your entire head and it comes with step by step instructions.
If you’re looking for bleach powder and don’t want to go as far as platinum, Wella Blondor is amazing. Wella Blondor is salon quality dye and it contains purple pigments to blast yellow and brass tones in the hair. It’s a quick acting bleach that contains hydrating agents so you won’t completely fry your hair. Wella Blondor bleach is a good option for those who have more experience with coloring their hair.
This hair bleaching kit lifts hair up to five levels. A premium hair lightener, this kit prepares your mane for intense Manic Panic hair dye colors.
This kit is our winner because it comes with bleach, a developer and everything else you would need to lighten your hair at home. If you’re new to bleaching your hair at home, this kit is amazing.
30 volumes lifts the hair up to 5 levels so if you’re looking to go lighter, this is a good kit. If you’re looking to go honey blonde with this kit, leave the dye on for less time and use a matching toner. Manic Panic also has a 40 volume kit which lifts the hair up to 7 levels.
- This kit has everything you need; bleach powder, developer, brush, toner and gloves.
- Cruelty-free and vegan bleach formula.
- This kit comes with instructions and is easy to do at home.
- This kit is great if you’re looking to lighten your hair before dying it lavender, pink, etc.
- This kit is super affordable.
- May not be the best option if you want honey blonde hair.
- If you don’t want to completely bleach your hair, you want a gentler option.
Where to buy it:
This product is top notch, salon grade, holy grail bleach. Hairstylists rave about this bleach because it can lift the hair up to 7 levels, it’s quick and protects the hair. The formula is still gentle and the powder has a purple tint to block brass and yellow hues. If you’re looking to add highlights to your hair, fix your roots or want a darker blonde, this bleach is a great option.
You’re going to need to purchase a developer to mix with this bleach. This bleach is fantastic but it’s recommended for someone who has done ample research and has experience coloring their hair.
- Goes up to 7 shades lighter and works on virgin hair.
- Gentle formula contains purple hues to block brass and yellow tones.
- Works if you’re trying to go platinum blonde or for a honey blonde shade.
- Salon quality hair dye.
- Comes in a single-serve pack for a cheaper price.
- With any bleach, there is margin for error. This one is potent.
- This bleach is more expensive.
Where to buy it:
This L’oreal bleach is affordable and lifts up to 7 shades lighter. This bleach works on dark hair and is a great option for going blonde at home. With proper knowledge and the right products, it can help you to achieve a salon-worthy blonde.
You’ll need to buy a developer to use with this bleach.
- Great for lifting — this bleach goes up to 7 shades lighter.
- This bleach comes in a 1 lb bucket and it’s still very affordable.
- This product is sort of like a dupe for the Wella Blondor.
- Comes in a super affordable, single-serve pack.
- One reviewer said it burned her scalp which is very common with bleach at home.
- This bleach will likely damage your hair if you’re trying to go much lighter or are not careful.
- This bleach is very strong and not so gentle.
Where to buy it: Amazon
Inspired by fashion, Feria offers a twist on the traditional and gives edgy hair color. These hair dye kits will transform your hair.
If you want something easy and find buying bleach and developer too much for you, go for a boxed dye. This permanent, long-lasting color can lighten your hair. Reviewers rave about how light this can get their hair – going from dark brown to platinum roots.
- If buying separate bleach and developer sounds daunting this kit is perfect.
- Easy to use with complete instructions.
- It’s not advised for grays but reviewers love using this to cover their gray roots and lighten their hair color.
- Easy and beginner friendly.
- This is more of a beginner, basic bleach pack.
- If you want a honey blonde or dimension, this is not for you.
- If your hair is super dark and hard to dye, you may want to use a stronger bleach.
Where to buy it:
Frost & Design Dramatic Hi-Precision Pull-Through Cap Highlights have a time-saving formula that leaves you with a delectable swirl of creamy highlights for a sun-kissed glow.
Think of this as the entry level to bleach highlights at home. This kit comes with a poke through cap to highlight the hair evenly. If you’re nervous to try bleach at home, go for this — there’s less margin for error and it comes with strict instruction.
If you’re looking to add highlights vs bleaching your entire head, this is a great option. It comes in caramel for brown hair and champagne for blonde hair.
- Great for highlights.
- Works on dark or previously lightened hair.
- Easy directions to follow!
- If bleach makes you nervous this is a great option.
- Does not get the hair as light as bleach does.
- This will be more subtle if you have dark hair.
- If you want a full, whole head color this isn’t the best option.
Where to buy it:
Igora Vario Blond lightening range has been upgraded with integrated fibre bond technology offering up to 8 levels of lift, with minimized breakage for incredible blonde transformations.
This bleach is extra strength so it’s a good option for darker, virgin hair types that are hard to dye. It can lift up to 8 levels. This is another great option for bleach and with the right developer it can seriously lighten your hair. Just be careful when going through with this because it’s strong and can fry your hair if it’s left on for too long.
You will need to purchase a developer to use with this.
- Many reviewers comment that this bleach is quickie and damage free.
- A great option for dark or virgin hair.
- Salon quality bleach.
- Contains blue pigments to counteract brassy, yellow tones.
- Some reviewers said it left their hair brassy.
- This bleach can seriously damage your hair if you are not careful.
Where to buy it:
If you’re deciding to go through with bleaching your hair, be so careful and do your research. The best thing you can do is educate yourself on the bleaching process and find the best products for your hair type and color. There’s an option on this list for everyone looking to lighten and bleach their hair at home. Whether you want to go full on platinum or just add in some highlights!
If you’re more seasoned and comfortable with dying your hair, the Wella Blondor powder is a fantastic option that’s salon quality. If you’re looking to lighten your entire head, the Manic Panic kit is great and comes with ample instructions to walk you through the process.
When bleaching your hair always air on the side of caution, do your research and keep a purple shampoo handy to banish brassy tones. Good luck!