Jelly cleansers are a great product for removing makeup and leaving the skin hydrated. If you suffer from dry skin you can recall that tight, dry feeling you have after washing your face with a harsh cleanser. Drunk Elephant’s No 9 Beste Jelly Cleanser is a fan favorite because it’s jelly texture is hydrating while breaking down makeup. But, Drunk Elephant is a luxury brand with expensive prices and cleanser is the last thing you need to splurge on when it comes to skincare.
Bioderma’s Sensibio cleanser is our favorite dupe for Drunk Elephant’s Beste cleanser. Just like DE, it has a gel consistency that removes makeup and never strips the skin. It’s great for removing light makeup and cleansing the skin — a classic to keep in your skincare routine. The best part is you get triple the amount of Drunk Elephant’s Beste cleanser for a fraction of the price.
Drunk Elephant’s Beste No.9 Jelly Cleanser is a jelly cleanser that removes makeup, pollution and excess grime after a day’s work. This DE cleanser is free of parabens, essential oils and fragrance. It’s an effective, basic cleanser and a good option for sensitive skin types. While this cleanser is marketed to remove makeup, it’s good for only light applications and not suitable for heavy or waterproof makeup.
Drunk Elephant’s Beste cleanser has a neutral pH of 5.5 and that is optimal for keeping the skin balanced. This cleanser is hydrating but doesn’t strip the skin of moisture or disrupt the acid mantle. Cleansers that make your skin feel squeaky-clean and tight are not good for the integrity and health of your skin long term. Overall, this cleanser is a great, skin friendly option but it’s price tag is high for such a basic cleanser.
Where to buy: Amazon
There’s tons of fantastic jelly cleansers on the market to choose from. There is no doubt that Drunk Elephant’s Beste cleanser is a good option but there is no need to spend that much for a high quality, basic cleanser. There are many other options on the market that are just as effective for a fraction of the price.
When looking for a good cleanser, look for something balanced that is not going to strip the skin. As we stated, Drunk Elephant’s cleanser has a pH of 5.5 which is neutral and a good indicator of a quality cleanser. Luckily, finding a cleanser with a good pH is not something you have to pay more for that. There are lots of good, affordable cleansers that are balanced, effective at cleansing and hydration.
This gel cleanser from Bioderma is a great cleanser that rivals Drunk Elephant’s Beste cleanser. It’s a gel that lightly foams and it’s gentle and hydrating yet effective at cleaning the skin and removing light makeup. Bioderma’s cleanser has a pH of 5.5 just like Drunk Elephant which is the perfect pH for a cleanser that can clean the skin without damaging the acid mantle.
Bioderma is a French pharmacy, cult favorite in the beauty industry and you can get 3xs the amount of cleanser for half the price of Drunk Elephant.
- Gel texture and performance rivals Drunk Elephant.
- This cleanser is gentle but super effective at cleansing the skin and removing light makeup.
- This doesn’t make your face feel tight after using it.
- This cleanser is super cost effective!
- Fragrance-free formula.
- Has a pump cleanser that’s easy to use.
- 5.5 pH just like Drunk Elephant.
- Some reviewers said this cleanser breaks them out.
- This cleanser is aimed towards sensitive skin types. Bioderma also has a similar option geared towards oily skin.
Where to buy it:
This jelly cleanser is E.L.F’s affordable answer to Drunk Elephant’s Beste cleanser. It’s gentle and works to remove makeup without stripping the skin. This cleanser is a cost effective dupe.
- Cruelty-free and vegan formula.
- No frills, easy to access cleanser that has the same gel feel as Drunk Elephant.
- Reviewers complain about the smell of this cleanser.
- This cleanser will not break out waterproof eye makeup.
- This cleanser is a pretty basic, drugstore option.
Where to buy it:
The texture of this Tony Moly cleanser is spot on for DE’s Beste cleanser. This jelly cleanser light foams to remove makeup and break down oils just like Drunk Elephant. The only difference is this cleanser contains a blend of vitamins to brighten and smooth the skin.
- Texture is a jelly like Drunk Elephant’s Beste Cleanser.
- Half the price of Drunk Elephant.
- Removes makeup.
- This cleanser goes a long way as a tiny drop is all you need to wash your entire face.
- Some reviewers said this cleanser dries out their skin.
- If you have sensitive skin the Vitamin C blend may not be good for you.
Where to buy it:
This cleanser is a drugstore basic that mimics the gentle, jelly texture of DE’s Beste cleanser. This is a no frills, super affordable options that’s free of parabens and oils. Reviewers note that it adds hydration into their skin and this is a product they continue to repurchase.
- Non-comedogenic formula free of parabens and oils.
- A drugstore option that’s affordable and easily accessible.
- The gel texture is very similar to Drunk Elephant and will not strip the skin.
- Has a pump applicator.
- This may be harsh for you if you have dry, sensitive skin.
Where to buy it:
This Honest Beauty cleanser has a very similar gel texture compared to Drunk Elephant’s Beste cleanser. Like DE, this cleanser is free of parabens, synthetic fragrances, dyes and SLS. It has a herbal, floral scent while Drunk Elephant is a scent free. If you’re looking for a natural, affordable alternative that feels high end, this is a good option.
- This cleanser has a gel texture that’s hydrating and effective at removing light makeup.
- Has a pump applicator so you don’t waste any product.
- Honest Beauty is an affordable, natural skincare like that feels high end.
- Herbal, floral scent is strong and may bother some.
- Some reviewers complained that it leaves a weird residue on the skin.
Where to buy it:
This La Roche Posay cleanser is another French pharmacy basic and an effective gel to foam cleanser. It removes makeup and oil from the skin. Like Drunk Elephant’s Beste Cleanser, it’s fragrance and oil-free. This cleanser has a 5.5 pH just like Drunk Elephant and it’s a great basic cleanser that won’t strip the skin.
- Holds a 5.5 pH just like Drunk Elephant’s Beste cleanser.
- Paraben, oil, sulfate and fragrance free.
- Pump applicator.
- Removes light makeup.
- Some reviewers describe the pump as faulty with time.
Where to buy it:
Drunk Elephant’s Beste Cleanser is a great, basic cleanser that won’t strip your skin. But, this list of dupes proves that there is no need to shell out luxury prices for a basic cleanser. Bioderma’s Sensibio Gel Cleanser is a great dupe with a similar texture and function that is a fraction of the price.
If you’re trying to figure out your skincare routine, know that you don’t have to shell out tons of money on a cleanser to ensure that it’s a good one. Spend your money on actives and serums that will do the heavy lifting and target specific issues like acne scars, dullness or uneven texture. There are tons of good, affordable cleansers so know you don’t have to spend tons to see results.
Double cleansing is a really valuable step if you wear makeup, SPF or have acne-prone skin. Basically everyone should be double cleansing! The Drunk Elephant Beste cleanser and these dupes would be a good second cleanse. Yes, they remove makeup but most likely not all of it. So, use an oil based cleanser to remove any makeup and then follow up with this to remove dirt, oils and anything leftover.
The cleansers listed above will work for light makeup removal. If you’re wearing heavy eye makeup or waterproof makeup you’re definitely going to need a different makeup remover or oil based cleanser. Why?
These cleansers will create the appearance of clean skin. But, chances are if you use a toner after, you’ll see extra makeup on your cotton that’s leftover on your face. So double cleanse to make sure you remove all makeup so the cleanser can remove excess dirt, oils and SPF.
Cleansing in the morning is up to you but definitely at night. Cleansing in the morning isn’t always necessary, especially if you have dry skin because that can strip moisture from the skin that you don’t have to give. The same applies to sensitive, dehydrated skin types. On the other hand, oily skin types are better candidates for a morning cleanse because the skin accumulates oil as you sleep through the night.
A morning cleanse is all about what works best for your skin. For some it’s a splash of water and for some it’s a gentle yet effective cleanser. As for night time you always want to cleanse your face before bed regardless if you wore makeup or not that day. A double cleanse will always be your best bet for end of day skincare.