Glossier’s Gen G lipsticks are one of their greatest products because it’s like getting multiple lipsticks in one. Just swipe on another layer for more coverage and there you have a lip stain and full pigmented lipstick. While it lacks the full coverage of a matte liquid lipstick, it’s so flattering on the lips and it fits Glossier’s ‘yours but better’ mantra. We love Glossier but their products are harder to get a hold of and they’re not the most pigmented, so let’s dupe it!
Our favorite dupe for Glossier Gen G lipsticks are Ohii Beauty Lip Smudges. These lip products are identical: the packaging is similar, the buildable sheer coverage is there and they’re both matte. They prove to be a fantastic alternative. While Ohii Lip Smudges aren’t much cheaper than Glossier, you can find them at Urban Outfitter stores as well as their website and they’re usually on sale!
Glossier Gen G lipsticks are built on the premise of being sheer with buildable coverage. Meaning, it’s like having a few different lipsticks in one. One swipe is a sheer lip balm look while five swipes can look like a fully, pigmented lipstick. Like all of Glossier’s products, this one is a, “your lips but better” look. It’s wearable, diffused look comes in a variety of shades ranging from nudes to reds to berries. A buildable, matte lip balm or stain will pose as a good dupe for Gen G.
This lipstick is an exact dupe for Glossier Gen G lipsticks. It’s a sheer, barely there color that can be layered on for a more pigmented look. The packaging is identical to Glossier and it’s really hard to find a sizable difference between the two. Ohii’s Lip Smudges cost a hint less than Glossier Gen G but they go on sale often so it’s still a better deal. They come in 7 shades and many are very comparable to Glossier’s.
- Formula and packaging is an exact dupe for Glossier Gen G lipsticks.
- These come in 7 shades so there are options that are similar to Glossier’s offering.
- These go on sale often.
- These are available in stores at Urban Outfitters so you can see the colors in person.
- Vegan, cruelty-free and paraben-free.
- Wearable and comfortable matte, diffused formula.
- The price is similar to Glossier Gen G so why not just get those?
Where to buy it: Urban Outfitters
These sheer lipsticks are a total dupe for Glossier Gen G. They come in 8 wearable shades and offer a sheer wash of color. The only difference is Glossier is matte while these pull more satin. These aren’t fully shiny or matte but rather, comfortable. The price on these is just right and you can buy three of them for the cost of one Gen G lipstick.
- These come in 8 stunning, wearable shades.
- So affordable! You can get 3 of these for the price of 1 Glossier Gen G.
- Sheer, buildable wash of color reminds us of Gen G.
- Vegan and cruelty-free.
- The packaging is different but we love that the plastic component matches the shade.
- These lean towards a satin finish more than a matte one.
- Not as buildable.
Where to buy it: elfcosmetics.com
These tinted lip balms have sheer, buildable coverage. These have a more glossy look but still resemble the Gen G lipsticks. Honest Beauty is vegan and cruelty-free plus it’s free of parabens and synthetic fragrance. The price on these is super affordable, around 2 for one Glossier Gen G and there’s 7 different shades. They’re a great everyday, lowkey lip option.
- 7 sheer and buildable shades.
- Super affordable!
- Lip balm moisturizes the lips.
- Cruelty-free, vegan and free of parabens and synthetic fragrance. (Synthetic fragrance is usually phthalates!)
- White packaging is reminiscent of Glossier.
- These are a lip balm and don’t have a matte finish.
- Some reviews said these are too sheer and hard to spot on the lips.
Where to buy it:
If you want a blotted lip look, these are superb and deliver. These have a little sponge applicator so different then Glossier but very user friendly. This formula is matte, comfortable and buildable. It comes in 16 shades so you can find everyday colors and bold varieties. This is from NYX so the price is just right and it performs very well.
- These come in 16 shades and there is an option for every occasion.
- Blotted, matte look is buildable for full pigment.
- User friendly packaging.
- NYX is PETA cruelty-free approved.
- Get 2 for 1 Glossier Gen G lipstick.
- This has a different applicator than Glossier.
- These are more pigmented than Gen G.
Where to buy it:
This tinted, moisturizing lip balm provides a buildable, wash of color. Like Glossier, it gives off a ‘your lips but better look’ and wears well throughout the day. This formula is like a semi-matte finish and it lasts well throughout the day while hydrating. It comes in tons of shades and is totally affordable! It’s a hybrid sort of product that checks many boxes and we think you’ll love it.
- Affordable and comes in tons of shades.
- Pretty floral packaging.
- Lasts all day and helps to moisturize the lips.
- Applies like a lip balm and has buildable coverage.
- The packaging is a little bulky.
- Some said the formula is thicker than they expected.
Where to buy it:
This lip stain has a buildable, sheer and lightweight texture. While not the most moisturizing option, this is a good drugstore dupe and it comes in a ton of shades. The nice thing about this stain is it has a pointed applicator which is really nice for applying to the lips.
- This lip stain is a light coverage and lasts all day.
- Comes in darker shades which Gen G does not.
- Super affordable.
- Pointed applicator is easy for applying to the lips.
- Different packaging and format from Gen G.
- These can feel a little drying.
- These have a stronger peppermint scent. This can be good or bad depending on your preference.
- These have some shimmer which can be good or bad depending on if you like that.
Where to buy it:
There are lots of good dupes for Glossier Gen G lipsticks because a sheer lipstick/balm isn’t too hard to come across. If we are looking at wear, feel, and experience, Ohii Beauty Lip Smudges are an exact dupe. While they aren’t as affordable as we like, you can find them at Urban Outfitters which is much more readily accessed than Glossier. Plus they almost always have some sort of sale going on.
Gen G is not primarily used as a hydrating lip product. It’s used for a sheer wash of color and while it does contain hydrating ingredients, it’s a matte lip product. There is only so much hydration a matte lip product can provide. If you need something more hydrating on your lips, add a lip balm or gloss overtop.
The same goes for these dupes! Anything matte and sheer isn’t too high on the hydration factor. Your best bet is the Honest Beauty Tinted Lip Balms as they are a balm, not a lipstick.
If you like to line your lips you can! Glossier’s whole premise is your skin, lips etc but better. So, it’s sheer formula will not need a lip liner to look good like a more full coverage matte lipstick would need. If you want to make the lipstick look more intense, lip liner is probably your best bet.
It’s harder for something with sheer coverage to be long lasting because you don’t have much to give. While these are matte, they’re not going be the most long lasting lipstick you own. They’re more for the blotted, diffused lip look. And they’re easy to apply so they’re meant for reapplication throughout the day.