Smashbox is an LA based brand known for their iconic makeup primers. Their Photo Finish Foundation Primer has been popular for years because it works. It’s a classic, loved by influencers and beauty lovers alike! At the end of the day, Smashbox does a great job at creating basic complexion products that people love.
Yes! Smashbox is cruelty-free. Smashbox’s cruelty-free status shows that being CF does not affect the quality or performance of your products. Smashbox has always been cruelty-free and they’re certified by PETA. Along with that they have a good amount of vegan products that are paraben and phthalate free.
The only qualm with Smashbox is they’re owned by Estee Lauder, their parent company that tests on animals. While Smashbox holds a cruelty-free certification, it’s up to you if you want to support them!
Yes! Smashbox is and has always been cruelty-free. They even have their cruelty-free certification from PETA. They vet all their ingredients as cruelty-free. They only use human volunteers to test their products. Smashbox does not sell in Mainland China as animal testing is a requirement there.
Here’s the statement from their website:
“Yes! We live for lipstick and are serious about primers—but we also really care about animals. That’s why we are a cruelty-free makeup brand. We test our products on human volunteers, not animals.”
Smashbox has a great selection of vegan products but as a brand, they are not 100% vegan. They use ingredients like beeswax, carmine and lanolin which are all animal byproducts. These ingredients are commonly found in lipstick, especially red and pink shades. Luckily, Smashbox is best known for their primers and all their primers are vegan!
Smashbox has tons of vegan products! Here’s a list of them:
- 24 Hour Photo Finish Shadow Primer
- Always On Liquid Liner
- Always Sharp Clear Lip Liner
- Brow Tech To Go – all shades
- Camera Ready BB Cream Eyes Concealer SPF 15 – all shades
- Camera Ready BB Cream Foundation SPF 35 – all shades
- Camera Ready BB Water Foundation SPF 30 – all shades
- Camera Ready Brush Cleaner
- Camera Ready CC Cream Foundation SPF 30 Dark Spot Correcting – all shades
- Cat-Eye Kit
- Crystalized Photo Finish Primer Water – all
- Full Exposure Mascara
- Full Exposure Waterproof Mascara
- Gloss Angeles Extra Shine Lip Gloss
- Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer
- It’s A Wrap! Waterproof Makeup Remover
- Limitless Liquid Liner Pen
- O-Gloss Intuitive Lip Gloss With Goji Berry-C Complex
- O-Plump Intuitive Lip Plumper With Goji Berry-C Complex
- Petal Metal Shimmer Drops – all shades
- Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer – Adjust
- Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer – Blend
- Photo Finish Crystalized Primerizer
- Photo Finish Foundation Primer
- Photo Finish Foundation Primer – Radiance with Hyaluronic Acid (TUBE)
- Photo Finish Foundation Primer Light – Oil-Free
- Photo Finish Foundation Primer Oil-Free – Pore Minimizing
- Photo Finish Petal Metal Primer
- Photo Finish Foundation Primer SPF 20 Dermaxyl Complex
- Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer
- Photo Finish Primer Oil
- Photo Finish Primer Water
- Photo Finish Primerizer
- Step-By- Step Contour Kit – Lt/Med ONLY
- Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation – all shades
- Studio Skin 24 Hour Waterproof Concealer – all shades
- Studio Skin Flawless 24 Hour Concealer – all shades
- Super Fan Mascara
- Try Me: Face Primer Set
- X-Rated Mascara
No, Smashbox is not organic nor do they claim to be. We know organic foods are anything harvested without chemicals or genetically modified foods. The same reasoning applies to ingredients in beauty products. Few beauty brands are fully organic, especially mainstream ones like Smashbox.
Smashbox is an LA based brand, manufactured in China and the US. In Mainland China is animal testing required to sell in physical stores. But, manufacturing in China does not affect their cruelty-free status!
No, Smashbox is not sold in Mainland China. Animal testing is a requirement for any brand sold in store in Mainland China. Smashbox is cruelty-free, PETA certified and to maintain that they cannot sell in Mainland China.
Any brand that claims they are cruelty-free but sold in Mainland China is not. You must pay for animal testing to sell in physical stores there which means you’re not CF. Manufacturing in China does not mean you have to test on animals.
No, Smashbox is 100% not paraben-free but they do offer many paraben-free products. Parabens are highly controversial in beauty and many argue that they do more harm than good. They work as preservatives to further the shelf-life in products. They are deemed okay in small amounts by the FDA.
Most of Smashbox’s foundations, primers and concealers are paraben-free along with phthalates-free. Their new Photo Finish Vitamin Glow primer is not paraben-free. Along with some of their powder products and eyeshadows.
No, but Smashbox does have some products that are gluten-free. Their Limitless Long Wear Lip Gloss and Jet Set Waterproof Eyeliner are gluten-free.
Some Smashbox products are Phthalates-free and some are not. Phthalates help to improve the texture of beauty products. They are usually listed as fragrance in the ingredients.
Smashbox’s cult-favorite Photo Finish Primizer is paraben and phthalates-free. So is their Studio Skin Flawless 24 Hour Concealer and Cali Contour Kit. Along with their Halo Glow highlighter powder duo.
Sephora.com lists if products are paraben and phthalate free in their descriptions. So check there for more products.
No, Smashbox is not 100% non-comedogenic but they do have some products that are. The Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation is non-comedogenic. So is their 24 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation.
Yes, Smashbox is PETA cruelty-free approved. They provided proper documentation verifying that they don’t conduct or commission animal testing. And nor will they do so in the future.
If you’re looking for cruelty-free basics to add to your makeup routine, try Smashbox! Many of their foundations extend past being CF and are vegan, paraben and phthalate free.
Cruelty-free status for beauty brands has many different facets. While Smashbox has CF certification by PETA, their parent brand, Estee Lauder is not. Estee Lauder does test on animals so it’s up to you to decide if you want to support them or not.
Along with being cruelty-free, Smashbox is really great at sustainability! All their packaging is sustainable and recyclable. Overall, Smashbox is a great option for CF and sustainable products that are affordable and easily accessed!