Have you ever played with slime?
If you’ve got kids at home, then the answer must be a big YES!
Slime is one of the most beloved playthings for children aged 3 and above. It’s colorful, gooey, mushy, and very sticky. All these things make it an amusing addition to a child’s toy collection.
Once slime gets into your hair―it’s chaos!
In my experience, a simple bath, shower or rinse doesn’t get slime out of hair. That’s why most parents take out a pair of scissors to chop it all off. But let me tell you that these desperate times don’t call for desperate measures.
There are easier ways to get rid of the gunk that won’t involve ruining anybody’s hair.
How do you get slime off your hair? The best way to tackle the slime is by introducing a slippery substance into your hair. I’ve found that washing it off with warm water and conditioner, mayonnaise or baby oil does the trick most of the time.
Here’s everything that you need to know about undertaking this task:
How to Get Slime out of Hair?
Believe it or not, slime can get out of your hair with a simple ‘wash, rinse, and repeat’ routine. All you’ve got to do is find an effective cleaning solution to wash it down. The trick is to find something that allows the slime to cling to it.
This makes it easier to remove it from your hair.
Your first step is to take out the big clumps of slime with your hand. Then follow up with one of the following methods.
Use a Conditioner
You’ve probably tried using shampoo on slime. However, I’ve found that using a conditioner first is more effective.
Here’s a step-by-step guide that you should follow:
- Get under a hot shower/or dip your hair into hot water. Exposure to heat causes the slime to break down.
- Take a generous amount of conditioner and apply it to your hair.
- Massage your hair and keep sliding your hands down from root to tip for the best results.
- Gently comb your wet hair to get rid of the broken bits of slime.
- Rinse the conditioner out with warm water.
- Lather your hair with shampoo and then massage it.
- Rinse it off with water.
If all goes well, a single wash should remove all the slime. You should repeat these steps if some traces of slime are still left.
When I saw mayonnaise on other lists of slime hacks, it surprised me.
I was even more surprised to find out that it actually works. Many parents have dubbed it a lifesaver in these messy situations.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Use a few spoonfuls of mayonnaise and start applying it to the hair.
- Next, use a fine-tooth comb to gently comb through the slime-infested hair.
- Wipe off the slime that sticks to the comb.
- Keep on combing the hair gently until all visible slime is gone.
- Wash hair by using the conditioner-shampoo method.
Voila! Your/the child’s hair will be slime-free in no time!
Pro tip: Use a fragrant shampoo and conditioner to eliminate the lingering smell of mayonnaise.
Plant-based oil (e.g. coconut oil, olive oil, vegetable oil, or jojoba oil) can come in handy in this situation. The process is like the conditioner method. Think of this solution as a step that comes before the conditioning process.
Using oil and conditioner is an effective way to clear slime off your hair.
Pro tip: Use baby oil if your child is young.
Getting out Dried Slime vs. Wet Slime: What’s the Difference?
Wet slime vs. dried slime―which one’s easier to remove?
The rule of thumb is to remove the slime as soon as it gets in the hair or anywhere else. That’s because its stickiness increases once it starts to dry up. The worst part is that slime starts forming into clumps when it hardens. So you’ve got more stubborn stains to manage if you prolong the cleaning process.
If your kid/pet or any item gets slime on it, you should immediately wash it off. Otherwise, you’ll get stuck with the slimy stain for a long time.
How Do You Get Slime out of Clothes?
The good news is that cleaning slime from clothes is simpler than the slimy hair scenario. It does involve more steps than your usual rinse cycle though.
Here are the steps you must follow:
- Take a knife or spatula and use it to scrape off the slime. Use an ice cube to break it down if required.
- Spray a stain-remover/vinegar on top of the slime. Make sure that the cleaning solution reaches every inch of the slime-covered clothing.
- Rub the clothes together until the slime starts getting off.
- Soak the clothes in warm to hot water.
- Toss it into the washing machine.
- Wash the clothes according to your regular cycle.
- Air-dry your washed clothes.
Pro tip: You can add half a spoon of baking soda with vinegar for better results.
How Do You Get Slime out of Carpet?
I would recommend not letting the kids and their tubs of slime lose on the carpet covered areas. However, there are chances of them sneaking off to do that when you’re not in the room.
That’s why it’s essential for you to know how to remove slime from the carpet. It’s a more challenging process, but it’s not an impossible one.
Let’s look at what you have to do:
- Try pulling out the big slime clumps off the carpet before washing it off.
- Create a cleaning solution with vinegar (180 ml) with warm water (90 ml).
- Pour the solution on the carpet.
- Scrub the slime off with a soft-bristled brush.
- Rub the brush vigorously until all the slime comes off. Be sure to pick the slime off the bristles before you brush the carpet again.
- Use a dry towel to blot the wet carpet.
- Repeat the process if required.
Pro tip: Make a bigger batch of vinegar solution (3:1 ratio) if the situation calls for it.
Frequently Asked Questions: Slime Edition
Still thinking about getting rid of slime?
Don’t fret! Here’s my humble attempt to answer a few of your burning questions.
Let’s have a look:
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Remove Slime?
It’s all thanks to its acidity. The acidic components inside the vinegar fight off with the stubborn slime build-up. This makes it easier for you to clean the slime with the help of detergent or shampoo.
Does Peanut Butter Get Slime Out Of Hair?
Yes, peanut butter does get slime out of hair!
Peanut butter is a sweet, odorless way to get rid of the slime. That’s because it’s sticky and has enough oil-content inside to get the goo off your hair. Follow the steps suggested in the mayo-method to clean the slime off your hair.
Are These Methods Safe for My Kids?
Yes. I have made sure that I used kid-friendly methods to help clean the slime. Nevertheless, you need to be extra cautious if you’re handling a young one.
Here are a few tips to make this process safe for kids:
- Be gentle with the comb since you don’t want their hair to break.
- Use non-abrasive hair products while getting rid of the slime.
- Dilute the vinegar with warm water to prevent any hair damage.
- Make your child wear goggles to protect their eyes.
Apart from that, don’t use anything that the child might be allergic to. If you’re a teacher or school nurse, then do consult their parents before you take the next step.
Let’s Sum It Up
In the end, if your child loves to play with slime, then you’ve got to prepare for the inevitable. Keep a bottle of vinegar, mayonnaise, and conditioner in stock for the next slime session. It’ll ensure that you can get rid of the slime on the spot.
Let us know which method worked for you in the comments.