You should buy beauty products on
But just like any kind of online shopping, there are some precautions to take when buying beauty products from
Online purchases have adapted over time and became easier. While it may be tempting to purchase from anywhere,
Buying beauty products on
Up next, we’ll dive into some of the safety concerns, as well as what precautions you need to take when buying beauty products on
Sometimes vendors will even sell items that have been opened or used. Even if the packaging is perfect and looks new doesn’t always mean that it is. Sometimes a package may be received that has damage or looks to have been opened by someone other than you. There is a forum on Amazon that talks about their “new” and “used” topics. The information found here is helpful to keep in your back pocket when shopping for beauty products.
Being able to tell if an item has been tampered with is easier in the store. There are things you can be on the lookout for that you just can’t see online. But, there can be methods that you can use for online purchases as well after you receive the package. Here are some ways you can check your product to see if it’s been used or tampered with:
- Look for tamper evidence. In most cases, beauty products will come with a tamper seal. If you receive your item and notice that the seal has been replaced or even tampered with, there is a good indication that it has been at least opened, if not actually used.
- The packaging is different than the original product, or the packaging has been opened. There are instances where an item comes with an outer packaging plastic or bag. This is a good way to distinguish if a product has been open or is new/used.
It is important to note that not all beauty products will have a safety seal, an outer packaging of plastic, or come with a resealable seam. Some items like fragrances or nail polish may not have those present.
According to Chandra Steele from PCMag, “Phony cosmetics often contain things such as arsenic, beryllium, and cadmium (all known carcinogens) along with high levels of aluminum and dangerous levels of bacteria. Some of these products have caused conditions like acne, psoriasis, rashes, and eye infections,” the FBI warns.”
If you’re purchasing from a reputable vendor that you’ve previously used, or you’re buying straight from the brand, then this isn’t much of a risk. But if you’re the adventurous type and you want to try something new, knowing how to spot a fake will save you money and keep you safe.
Even though spotting fake products is not a guarantee for every purchase, because some fakes are really good, if we’re honest, there will be times that an item is still going to be counterfeit. However, there are some tips to help you spot fake beauty products and save you some time and money. Use these clues to help you determine real vs. fake beauty products:
- Reviews. Checking a product’s reviews can help you separate fake products from real ones. If a product has ratings that are high and have been posted relatively close together, then the chances are that you have spotted a fake product.
- Description. In some cases, the product description can tell a lot about a product. If the seller has a scattered or messy description with a low-quality image, the chances of a product authenticity are pretty low. Poor grammar and odd wording are an indicator that the description was written by an individual, or small seller, as opposed to a reputable company.
- Seller. Looking deeper into a seller can help determine if they are real or not. You can check other products that they have or had for sale and read reviews. This may lead you to some negative reviews and help you decide if they are safe sellers.
- Shipping expenses and delivery dates. The shipping cost and delivery dates can help you identify a fake product. If the item(s) shipping and delivery dates are not similar to others, that can be a red flag with something wrong with the product.
Even if a product passes all the checks, that doesn’t always mean that it will be real. Sometimes a seller knows the tricks of the trade and can pass these tips with flying colors. This why taking precautions is always good when purchasing from
Remember that if anything looks odd on a product, you can always contact the seller for more information and pictures regarding the product. Any authentic seller will provide you with any information that you request and in a timely manner.
For the most part,
Remember that every purchase from