Qualities of a good makeup primer? Something that helps your makeup to last longer, hydrates, won’t settle into fine lines…maybe even blur pores and texture. It’s a tall list but that’s not too much to ask for something that primes your skin before makeup. The real issue is finding something that actually delivers without spending tons on it!
The Ordinary High-Spreadability Fluid Primer is a non-greasy surface hydrator and great for a dewy complexion. The lightweight-serum texture helps to avoid uneven pigments and buildup of foundation in pores or fine lines. Not only does this primer help to hydrate the skin, it helps to create a flawless base for your makeup to last all day long. This primer is a skincare-makeup hybrid and the price is just right.
The Ordinary’s High-Spreadability Fluid Primer feels like most of their serums. Ever tried the Niacinamide or Hyaluronic Acid serum? Just like that. The hydrating and thick texture is sticky, viscous, making it a great base for makeup.
The High-Spreadability primer’s best feature is that it offers a hydrating, spreadable base. It contains high flexibility silicones that help to make your makeup last all day without settling into fine lines and pores. The worst is when you look at your makeup a few hours into wearing it and it has already settled into fine lines, looking dry and even cakey. Not to mention, fine lines you didn’t even know you had! This primer helps to eliminate that.
This primer leaves a dewy finish on the skin. Think hydrating and glowy. If you have oily skin this may not be your primer of choice. But, the Ordinary offers two different primers; High-Spreadability Fluid Primer and the High Adherence Silicone Primer. This one is better for dry skin, while the High Adherence primer is good for oily skin.
This primer contains lightweight silicones with high flexibility to help it spread across the skin. Meaning it also helps a difficult foundation to apply and look better on the skin. This does not feel like a silicone primer and feels more like a serum. But it’s worth noting that the formula does contain silicones to help the spreadability.
I think this primer adds nice hydration to the skin, especially given the texture. But it can be a bit sticky and heavy if you apply too much. I do think it helps to improve the appearance of your skin! This primer gets incredible reviews, some even comparing it to the YSL Touche Eclat primer which is a very expensive and luxury primer. The only difference…this primer is so affordable it’s hard to beat.
If you’re looking for a hydrating primer that can help to extend the wear of your makeup, this is a good option. It’ll even help your makeup to look better during the process and that is a win!
The Ordinary High-Spreadability Fluid Primer Pros
- Super affordable primer. You cannot beat the price.
- The high-Spreadability formula helps to keep makeup from settling into fine lines or dry spots. This works well for dry skin and mature skin with fine lines.
- Alcohol and oil-free formula. This is also vegan and cruelty-free.
- For those who have dry skin, this the primer you’ll want to use out of the two from The Ordinary. It has a hydrating serum consistency and leaves the skin with a glowing and dewy finish.
- This can help difficult foundations to wear and spread better on the skin.
- Works as light and non-oily surface hydrator. This has a viscous, serum texture so nothing about it makes your skin feel oily.
- Gets stellar reviews for its performance. Reviewers state that it helps to keep their makeup from looking cakey. Some also report that it helped to keep their T-zone from getting greasy throughout the day.
- As a hydrating primer, you can pair it with The Ordinary’s pore filling primer to get the benefits of both. For instance, a hydrating primer on the cheeks and forehead and pore blurring primer on the nose, around the nose, and t-zone. The Ordinary’s prices are so affordable you can buy both for ¼ the cost of some luxury primers.
- This primer has skincare benefits which is a nice way to help prep and support your skin. It’s not drying or full of alcohols, dyes, or fragrances. It’s hydrating and helps to support dry and sensitized skin.
- This primer is a shimmer-free formula. It feels more like skincare than makeup. But it does help to give a comfortable, glowy finish.
The Ordinary High-Spreadability Fluid Primer Cons
- The Ordinary’s products are no frills. The packaging is not one of it’s strengths.
- Some said this made their skin matte rather than dewy. That could be a byproduct of your sunscreen and foundation making your skin matte.
- This formula contains silicone.
- Some reviews complain about the packaging. It does have a dropper, a squeeze bottle may be a better option for the formula.
- Some reviews said this did not do anything for their skin.
- Some reviews report having an allergic reaction to this primer. The Ordinary always recommends patch testing their products to check for allergies and irritation prior to full use. They have a 365 day return policy in case you don’t like the product.
Apply this after AM skincare and SPF. As a traditional primer, it goes on before foundation. Since this has a viscous texture, it may pill depending on what you pair it with. So, keep the layers light. Since this is a makeup product, it has no conflicts.
The High-Spreadability primer is available at:
The Ordinary High-Spreadability primer is the perfect gateway to skincare meets makeup in a primer. The no-frills formula is a good thing because you don’t have to worry about it clogging your pores or irritating the skin. This primer wins because it helps to create a smooth base for makeup, making sure the foundation won’t settle into fine lines and pores as the day goes on.
With a dewy finish, this primer is great for dry skin and helps your makeup to look it’s best all day long. As always you can’t beat The Ordinary’s pricing and we love the idea of getting skincare benefits in our makeup.