The skincare community has blown up within the past decade or so. People have found new ways to integrate more products into their skincare regimen. And with the internet playing such an influential role in our lives, we all are watching these skincare gurus telling us how to take care of our skin and what products to use.
One of the most popular products many people are using now is called facial serum. It has quickly become part of many of our at-home skincare routines. But do you know what it actually is?
A facial serum is designed to deliver high concentrations of certain skincare ingredients to improve the skin in some way. Most of them are gel or liquid-based and they are very lightweight on the skin.
A face serum is meant to deliver high concentrations of certain skincare ingredients to your skin. These ingredients are much more powerful and can greatly improve different problem areas in your skin. By choosing ingredients that target these specific problem areas, you can see a huge improvement in your skincare concerns!
For example, say you have dehydrated and dry skin and you need something to plump up the skin and make it look overall much healthier? You may want to try using a hyaluronic acid facial serum!
Cerave Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Serum is one of our favorites!
By incorporating a facial serum into your skincare routine, you can quickly see many improvements in your skin health! Here are a few of the main benefits of using a facial serum.
- Strengthens and tightens the skin
- Minimizes the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and pores
- Tones, evens out, and brightens up the skin’s complexion
- Reduces dark spots and discoloration in the skin
- Reduces inflammation in the skin
- Adds hydration back into the skin
- Controls oily skin types
- Protects for sun damage
- And more!
Choosing a facial serum seems pretty simple. But it can actually make or break how it benefits your specific skin type and concerns. By choosing a facial serum that is right for you, you’ll be able to experience the maximum amount of benefits.
The first step in choosing a face serum is to determine your skin problems. Some examples include large pores, wrinkles, dry skin, inflammation, uneven skin tone, and more.
Then, find the ingredient that works to improve this problem. For example, if you struggle with a dull, uneven complexion, Vitamin C could be a great option for you!
The next step in choosing a face serum is to determine your budget. Then, when you’re shopping for the serum, you can specifically look in your price range.
Here are a few of our favorite serums within the low, medium, and high price range!
Low Price Range: The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
Medium Price Range: Peach & Lily Glass Skin Refining Serum
High Price Range: Dermalogica Age Smart Super Rich Repair
Here are some of the most common ingredients in facial serums.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic Acid is great for hydrating and moisturizing the skin. By doing this, it makes the skin appear more glowy and plump. Also, it can help with minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is not only great for your health, but it also greatly improves the complexion of your skin. It is a natural toner, as it evens and brightens up the skin tone. It also can help with reducing inflammation in the skin.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is great for slowing down the signs of aging in the skin. It minimizes free radicals in the skin, moisturizes the skin, and evens out the skin tone. Overall, Vitamin E is a great all-around ingredient in a facial serum.
- Retinol: Retinol is another ingredient that is amazing for more mature skin. It stimulates the growth of collagen in the skin which makes it look and feel much smoother and healthier. Also, it can minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Green Tea: Green tea is an excellent antioxidant and it can help reduce discoloration in the skin. It is a natural exfoliant, so it helps to get rid of any dead skin cells. Overall, green tea is great at improving the skin’s health.
There you have it, all you need to know about facial serums. Although you don’t necessarily need a facial serum, it is nice to have a product to works specifically to target your problem areas. Facial toners can be extremely helpful at getting your dream skin!
A lot of people commonly mix up facial serums and facial oils. The main difference is that facial serums are most often water-based and oils are oil-based. Generally, you can choose either one to put in your skincare routine. It is not necessary to have both.
We often make the mistake that our skincare and cosmetics products just never go old. This simply is not the case. All of these products expire. And when they do, they can simply not work anymore or they can even do some damage to the skin by causing irritation and breakouts.
The rule of thumb for facial serums is to store them at room temperature for optimal shelf life. If you do this, you can usually keep it anywhere from 6 months to 1 year.
A moisturizer is one of the most important parts of a skincare routine. So even though a facial serum is moisturizing, you shouldn’t use it as a replacement. We recommend if you are going to use a facial oil to use it in conjunction with your moisturizer.