What’s the weirdest skincare ingredient you’ve ever heard of? Bee venom, snail mucin, aminomar C (shark cartilage) and fish scales are a few that come to mind. Would you swear off these even if they could significantly improve your skin? If you can get over the initial weirdness, snail mucin is underrated and worth incorporating into your skincare routine.
Snail mucin is snail excretion aka snail slime, snail juice, whatever you want to call it. It sounds like the last thing you would want to put on your face, but it’s really good for your skin. Snail mucin is popular in K-Beauty because it’s benefits include hydration, healing and increased collagen production. It’s rarely irritating and it pairs very well with acids and retinol because it has gentle, hydrating and reparative results.
Snail mucin comes from traditional garden snails and it has a laundry list of skin friendly benefits. It rarely causes irritation or adverse effects which is why it’s so well loved in the skincare community. It works to help uneven skin tone and even fade dark spots. It helps to brighten and hydrate the driest of skin. And it can be paired with pretty much any skincare ingredient, morning and night.
But the list continues to go on! Want to forgo makeup for a dewy, fresh face glow? Slather on snail mucin as it makes for a beautiful, healthy glow. Snail mucin is really valuable in helping irritated, compromised skin. If you over-exfoliated or diminished your acid mantle, snail mucin can soothe and repair your skin. Burns, irritations and allergies? Slather on snail mucin to help speed up the healing process.
It’s really like a multi-use salve that can fix any skin issue while helping you to achieve your best skin.
- Helps repair dry, sensitive skin.
- Fades dark spots and acne scars.
- Helps to brighten your appearance.
- Can be used multiple times a day without any irritation.
- Pairs well with any ingredient. Especially irritating ones like retinol and acids
- Rarely causes irritation.
- Stimulates collagen production which is why it’s so good for compromised skin. As well as decreasing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Soothes irritation and a compromised skin barrier.
- Gives the skin a covetable, dewy glow.
There aren’t really any reported side effects from snail mucin but of course there are allergies and sensitivities. This varies from person to person so if you’re concerned, try to spot test it on an area and see how your skin reacts before applying it all over.
- When: Use snail mucin in the morning or night! It’s really great for adding hydration and moisture or soothing irritating skin. It can also be paired with virtually any other skincare ingredient. It’s never off limits!
- How often: You can use snail mucin morning and night! It’s not an active ingredient so you can’t overdo it with snail mucin. It’s totally okay to use it multiple times a day – especially when your skin is irritated.
- Who: Snail mucin is very popular in Korean beauty! Typically, essences, sheet masks and creams are the most common way to get the superstar ingredient. Cosrx Snail Mucin 96 Power Essence is a great, affordable product with snail excretion that works like a hydrating serum. Mizon also has a snail mucin cream which is really affordable and easy to use.
Another reason why snail mucin is so good? There isn’t any ingredient you should avoid using snail mucin with. It’s reparative and hydrating so it bodes well with more irritating ingredients like retinol and acids. Trial and error will help you figure out what pairs best with your snail mucin.
Are you convinced?! Once you get over the initial weirdness, snail mucin is a really great product to incorporate into your skincare routine. Whether you have dry, sensitized skin or are just looking for a great new product to fall in love with. Snail mucin is that star ingredient.
It even locks in moisture and helps to stimulate collagen which leads to less wrinkles and fine lines. It doesn’t take much convincing to see that snail mucin is a superstar ingredient with tons of uses and very little adverse effects. It’s pretty affordable and easy to find in sheet masks, essences, serums and creams so there’s a way for everyone to try it. It’s weird but after trying it out, it’s definitely worth the fresh faced, soft, glowy skin outcome!
Frequently Asked Questions
The Cosrx 96 Snail Mucin Power Essence is formulated with 96% snail excretion and it is so good! It hydrates, keeps the skin smooth and plump and gives a natural glow. It really brings life back to your skin and it’s a great option if your skin barrier is compromised.
It’s used like a hydrating serum in your routine and it feels like a sticky jelly without a detectable smell. Cosrx’s snail mucin is super affordable and it’s a really great product to grab if you’re looking to try snail mucin.
Yes! Cosrx’s Snail Mucin essence is cruelty-free. Here is their statement: “No snails are sacrificed for this item. Snail Mucin is obtained in a safe and environmentally friendly way in a favorite environment of snails and then processed as a cosmetic material.” So yes, snail mucin can be cruelty-free.
Yes! Most think that oily skin doesn’t need hydrating products and that’s not the case. Oily skin can get dehydrated and produce even more oil. So a product like snail mucin that’s gentle and locks in moisture without feeling heavy or greasy is actually a really great option for oily skin. Along with hydration, snail mucin stimulates collagen, helps to fade dark spots and even brighten your appearance.